Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

Default Bufo marinus, gourmet meal for possums

On 31/03/2010 8:03 PM, John Savage wrote:
Recently I wrote:
On the ABC's Science Show last Saturday. Robin Williams told how an
American herpetologist (I think that's the term for a guy who knows
what he's talking about) has observed how an American opossum (a
nasty-mannered carnivorous marsupial that resembles a giant rat badly
in need of a good PR manager) can make a meal of Bufo marinus, aka
the Qld cane toad. Instead of falling over dead, the possum sat back,
satisfyingly licked its paws and looked around for another toad. This
took place in Panama, the region of origin of our Qld cane toad.

Earlier this year there was a news item saying that perhaps the best
weapon we have in the fight against the cane toad might be our native
meat ant. It has been observed that as tiny toads first leave the water
to start out on their life as an amphibian, their small size at this
stage means they are prized by meat ants.

It was said that the reason they are not heavily predated lies in the
fact that meat ants do not usually nest close to the water's edge. The
discoverer of this predator-prey relationship theorised that we should
explore ways to encourage meat ants to nest closer to the water so that
they will then be better positioned to encounter the juvenile toads from
that body of water as these tasty toadlets first scramble ashore.

Sounds easy enough. :-)

You sound like you might like a few. Also any Frenchmen around? We may
be able to export these delicacies?