Old 19-04-2003, 08:56 PM
~ jan

Default Filterless ponds

Regarding extension cords and their use, supposedly it is not recommended
to bury them, something to do with the heat they give off, they are meant
to be in the open air. That said, I know someone is gonna say, well, Bubba,
the 1/2 brother of my cousin Iggy has been doing it for years, no problem.
Unfortunately if Bubba's house burned down and the insurance Co. discovered
the improper use of the cord (some say even if the cord didn't have
anything to do with the fire) they may not pay.

Personally I hope this is not the case (insurance cop out), but probably
best not to give the suggestion. ;o)

My lily pond is not filtered by a human made filter. It does filter itself
with the algae and plants. I do have power out to it so I could run a
spitter. The pump is in a mesh basket, no filter material. In the spring I
drain it, remove muck and any baby fish I didn't find in the fall. Refill
and wait for the treefrogs to come do their thing. About June, when the tad
poles are good size I put out a couple of fantail goldfish. I've yet to
have an algae bloom in it. Though some of you might not like some of the
gobs of string algae at this time, but that's all tadpole food and the
water is crystal to the bottom.

Regarding your green water, you might be putting the fish out there too
soon, or you're cleaning the sides too well when you drain it? Any algae
that is stuck to the side stays in my book. I'm hoping this year, since the
pond is only 2.5 seasons old, that the more desirable fuzz algae will get
going, but the string algae that I have now just isn't that big a deal.
It's more important to me to be able to make out a newly hatched tad pole
the size of this ! at the 2 foot bottom. ;o) ~ jan

See my Lily Pond and beyond:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a