Old 04-04-2010, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Riding Mower Battery Life

On 04/03/2010 07:15 PM, panabiker wrote:
I have a TroyBilt (MTD made) riding mower and the battery is dead
after only 4 summers. I figured I used it no more than once a week for
no more than 25 weeks a year. If I start engine twice each time I cut
the lawn, that's 50 times a year and 200 times in 4 years. Compared to
a car, it's about 3 and a half months of worth of starter usage. My
question: which is the main cause of very short battery life?

1. Lawn mower batteries are not nearly as well made (1yr warranty vs
6-8 yrs for auto batt.), or
2. The mowers don't charge batteries properly, or
3. Lack of use in winter drains and damages the battery, or
4. Something else?

3) is definitely a possibility. Does the battery tend to need a charge
in the spring? If so, you may want to consider putting the battery on a
"battery tender" over the winter, and if it is stored in an area that
could freeze, bring it inside your basement and set it on a board (not
so much because "setting a battery on concrete makes a battery go dead
faster" which may or may not be an old wives' tale, but to protect
whatever you set it on from any possible acid leakage)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel