Old 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Lancing Ann Lancing is offline

Default Rats!

Hello John,

I've just seen a rat come over our garden shed roof, down the gutter,
up the stick that holds the bird feeder, and then start feeding
itself. It did it 3 times in 20 minutes. It looked huge (but then:
they always do I believe). It was definitely a brown rat - pink
paws and all that.

So: tomorrow I buy a couple of rat traps, and tell the neighbours; on
Tuesday I'll tell the council (FWIW).

We live in a rural village right next to fields/woods (hm - sounds
great don't it?). However our houses are standard 60s semis (i.e. not
converted barns on the site of an old farmhouse). We've been here 25
years, and I don't ever remember seeing a rat before in such flagrant
proximity.

So: any comments from people here who have suffered from rats? I feel
we need to eradicate them ASAP.

Cheers
John
p.s. To save comments: in those 25 years we've always had compost
heaps (with no food scraps) and we've always had bird feeders.

Get yourself a cat. Ours caught 13 rats when our previous neighbours had
chicken.
Now we have a new neighbour he only catches mice.
Council Rat service was useless.

Ann