Old 19-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Michael Rogers

Default Grass too tall?

I 'inherited' a k-mart 14.5 hp riding mower (made by murray) with a 43"
deck. However it doesn't cut in tall grass very well. I cut once a week,
which in the spring is really not often enough... but it seems to me the
mower should be handle tall grass with a 14.5 horse engine. I have to mow
over the same spots 2 and 3 times, even at the slowest forward speeds. The
blades are brand spanking new but I can hear them slow to a non-cutting rpm
every time I go over a tall spot. Is this normal? Or perhaps my belt is
too loose? Or do I just need to break down and mow more often. My lawn is
a premium fescue blend in Kansas and I always cut on highest setting.

Any advice is appreciated.

Michael