Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default No Big Box tomatos this year

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
After last year's late blight fiasco I've sworn off buying plants from
the Big Box stores, I'm doing everything from seed.

Good for you! Last year I got my slicing and Roma tomatoes from department
stores, and when they grew to 1/5 the size of the heirlooms I started from
seed (and with much less fruit), I decided to start ALL of my tomatoes from
seed this year. In addition to them probably being healthier overall, I
also get to decide what to grow them in, and can keep them clean by only
using organic potting soil and no chemical fertilizers. Old habits cause me
to get excited every time I see trays of seedlings at stores, but overall I
LOVE that I am growing everything from scratch this year.
--S.