Old 05-04-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Carrots survived the winter

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:01:26 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
Is this unusual?, my garden is full of carrots. I've been eating some
of them for the last few weeks but I'm wondering if I should just leave
them alone for a few months and hope they grow to a reasonable size. My
carrots have always been stunted, usually just an inch long, never more
than three inches, maybe giving them two seasons to grow is what they
need to reach a normal size.

No, they won't get bigger. What will happen is that they'll start to
put out little rootlets and become tough, as they prepare to make seeds
this year. The good news is that, since carrots grow so well throughout
the winter where you live, you can plan to have year-round carrots, even
if they are small. Plant fewer seeds, but more regularly (every three
weeks or so), and you'll have a steady supply.
--S.

That's a good idea, I'll do a monthly seed planting. I'm going to try
parsnips this year, is the same thing true for them?

Yes.