Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Riding Mower Battery Life

John Gilmer wrote:
If so, you may want to consider putting the battery on a "battery tender"
over the winter, and if it is stored in an area that could freeze, bring it
inside your basement and set it on a board (not so much because "setting a
battery on concrete makes a battery go dead faster" which may or may not be
an old wives' tale, but to protect whatever you set it on from any possible
acid leakage)

There is a bit of "science" behind that "wives tale."

When the battery rests on a cold floor you can end up (especially while
charging) with a significant thermal gradient between the top and the bottom
of the cell.

The effect is nearly the equivalent of putting two batteries in parallel and
keeping one battery some 30F warmer than the other.

One of the two batteries will not be charged correctly and fully or might
end up being overcharged.

You could probably do a doctoral thesis on how that one gets passed from
generation to generation. I remember storing batteries on planks as a
kid, but had no idea why. Nobody in the family worked in a garage, and I
didn't hang out with gearheads, so no idea where I picked it up,
apparently by osmosis.

--
aem sends...