Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Rats!

sutartsorric wrote:

I poisoned the rats under my shed. I also know about the slow and
painful death that I caused them, but that did not make any
difference.

While the decline to death is slow with most poisons (that's the legal
ones) the rat merely feels unwell and is not in pain. Warfarin and its
cousins act by preventing blood from clotting, so when the roughage
scrapes old skin off the villi in the rat's small intestine (as is
normal) the blood vessels are kept very close to the surface.

Sometimes they bleed, and this is normal. Not ideal, but normal. The
abnormal effect is that with Warfarin the vessels in the villi continue
to bleed, and this weakens the rat as its manufacture of fresh red
corpuscles can't keep up with the depletion, and ratty turns up its toes.

I must have eaten cheap pork or eggs, and I would rather
have a few days slow death of a rat than a lifetime of sitting in my
own shit like the majority of chicken and pigs that provide cheap
produce to take-aways, restaurants and supermarkets in this country.
Millions eat that every day.

Fortunately, living in the country, I can always get meat, eggs and
things of which I know the provenance. However, being mildly allergic to
eggs, they are used only in cooking, so I tend to get less than a dozen
a year. I can also bag rabbits, pigeons and sqrls if I really wany meat,
but I don't tend to eat a lot of that, either.

So, please spare me the animal welfare arguments.

You brought them up...

--
Rusty