Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_4_] Sally Thompson[_4_] is offline

Default Eggs (was Rats!)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:53:27 +0100, wrote
(in article ):

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Fortunately, living in the country, I can always get meat, eggs and
things of which I know the provenance. However, being mildly allergic to
eggs, they are used only in cooking, so I tend to get less than a dozen
a year.

Sorry, slight turn in topic, but about your "slightly allergic to eggs"
statement - I've not been eating eggs for Lent, and now I am again, and
after a 2 egg ommlette, I had ... tummy trouble. It's not unheard of. I've
had tummy ache after eating duck eggs in the past, and since I can't tell
the difference between duck and chicken eggs anyhow, other than the size,
I've just stopped eating duck eggs. But this time it was /my/ chicken's
eggs, which I've not had a problem with before.
I was starting to wonder if it was white eggs, rather than the duck eggs, as
I had both white eggs this time (I had 2 brown eggs ready to cook, but Nick
came and nicked them before I had a chance!).
I know white and brown eggs are /meant/ to be identical other than the colour
of the shell, but does anyone know if this is actually accurate?

Yes it is. The colour of the shell has absolutely nothing to do with the
nutritional value, taste or anything else to do with the content of the egg,
and is related to the breed of the hen. Strangely, whereas in the UK brown
eggs are more desirable and are seen to be "healthier", in the USA white eggs
are more desirable and are seen to be "cleaner". Blame the marketing people!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening