Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree roots information for various species

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Rusty Hinge
wibbled on Friday 02 April 2010 17:16

Before I take a saw to 3 trees growing over a 6" shared sewer on my land,
are there any good tree data books anyone can recommend which indicate
how pervasive (spread) and deep roots of various species tend to go?

Poplars and willows (especially) will go looking for water. Willows will
invade drains and block them completely, and one in a dry situation may
send roots up to quarter of a mile.

Yes I heard about willows in particular.

Watch out for birches - for some reason, they don't get the bad press
that willows do, but they are every bit as invasive. Their roots
will get through the slightest crack.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.