Old 19-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Moron growing garlic

Gary Woods wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:12:15 -0400, you wrote:

snip
Briefly, garlic has the worst of both worlds:
Lousy competitor and heavy feeder. Keep it well-weeded and/or mulched,
supply enough water if your season is dry. Cut off the scapes to put all
the energy into the bulb.
If you give them lots of chemical nitrogen in the earlier foliage growing
phase, and plenty of moisture when the bulbs are forming you'll get big
bulbs. Lousy insipid garlic, but big bulbs.

I'm biased, if you can't tell...

Good advice. Otherwise, I wouldn't plant supermarket garlic
personally. I'm lucky enough to have a hugh garlic festival here in
the Mid Hudson Valley of NY and get my growing garlic from local
farms. I usually do German Red, and German White and one "experiment".

They are hardback varieties and give semi-large results. Not as big as
elephant obviously but a pretty good size.

For those who may be interested, the festival is always the third
weekend in September in Saugraties, NY. It draws a LOT of people (I
think around 50,000 last fall) so I'd advise going early.

--
Steve