Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloody couch grass!

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"George" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

A large part of my veg area is covered in the stuff, how the hell can
get rid of it easily?

Alan

Thanks all, will have to make some effort to kill the damned stuff, the
real trouble is it is all around stuff like rhubarb, which will be
difficult to screen!

Alan

dab weedkiller on the grass with a fine paint brush. It may take a
little
time, depending on how much grass, but will be far more surgical than a
spray application.

It's a perfect nuisance (we call it "twitch" here) and I've like any idea
to deal with it organically.
Apart from picking out by hand all the rhizomes..
I really don't want to start using weedkiller after 25 years of being
organic - it would ruin everything.
It's dreadful stuff.
Tina

You could always try sowing Yellow Rattle. That gives it a fright!
--

Please explain.

Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus spp.) is a parasitic plant for which the host
is assorted grasses. If you could establish Yellow Rattle it would
decrease the vigour of the grasses on which it was growing.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley