Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Eggs (was Rats!)

Sally Thompson wrote:
Yes it is. The colour of the shell has absolutely nothing to do with the
nutritional value, taste or anything else to do with the content of the egg,
and is related to the breed of the hen. Strangely, whereas in the UK brown
eggs are more desirable and are seen to be "healthier", in the USA white eggs
are more desirable and are seen to be "cleaner". Blame the marketing people!

Yes, I'd heard the difference between US and UK eggs - presumably brown eggs
are seen as healthier here cos of brown bread, brown rice, etc.
And I know different breeds lay different colours, we have 2 brown layers, 1
white layer and 2 can't-quite-make-up-their-minds. (They used to be small
and brown, now they're small and creamy - I'm assuming it's to do with the
time of year, as they have also got smaller)

But I honestly do seem to have a problem with white eggs! Perhaps I should
try again and keep experimenting ...