Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birds
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Partially white blackbirds?

On 2010-04-06 22:30:17 +0100, Martin Brown
said:

I wonder if someone could explain why some of our local blackbirds
have a few feathers that are pure white. I have seen both males and
females with this trait, and until recently had thought it was just a
few feathers on a handful of individuals. However, on Saturday I saw
a male blackbird with most of his head and neck pure brilliant white.
All the others just have a few feathers on the shoulder or wing edge.

It didn't look albino, it just had white feathers. Did someone once
breed pure white blackbirds or something or is this entirely natural?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Wouldn't albinos have pink eyes? Years ago we had a blackbird in
Jersey that had a white feather or two in his wing. He looked like
someone with a newspaper tucked under his arm. We called him the
Times reader. ;-)

Yes, we had a couple of blackbirds with white patches last year, not
seen any this year as yet.
Don