Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/7/10 12:19 PM, Billy wrote:
I'm looking for a perennial cascading plant for a hanging pot. It need
to descend at least a foot or more to cover an attached bird bath. Be
nice if it had flowers. Any ideas?

Hahn's ivy (Hedera helix 'Hahn's'), a dwarf form of English ivy that is
quite suitable in my climate.

Sprenger asparagus (A. densiflorus 'Sprengeri'), which might go dormant
in the winter but usually stays green in my climate.

variegated pothos (Epipremnum pinnatum 'Aureum') for a shady location
with no frosts (house plant in most areas)

You might visit a local nursery and see what they are selling in hanging
pots.

I don't understand your desire "to cover an attached bird bath." How
will the birds use it?

Just for privacy. The bird bath is about a foot lower than the flower
pot. The chickadees and the house wrens get spooked when a raptor flies
overhead, and the vegetation helps keep the water cool in the afternoon.
The hanging pot has drip irrigation, and the excess fills the bird bath.
It is about 10' off the ground and 10' from our bird feeder/wind chime
combo, which hangs on a different oak, about 4' from the squirrel's dish
where I leave a daily nut. I'm afraid it drives our pride of cats wild,
here in our little zoo.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for a decorative perennial, and
we usually get frost a half dozen times a year.