Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

On Apr 7, 12:19 pm, Billy wrote:
I'm looking for a perennial cascading plant for a hanging pot. It need
to descend at least a foot or more to cover an attached bird bath. Be
nice if it had flowers. Any ideas?
--

Ok B. here we are.

Many sedges will cascade if in a container.
This one is variegated and has very thin, wispy foliage:
Carex comans Frosty Curls other Carex are bright yellow green
Needlepoint ivy has small leaves, some are variegated for color
Ferns
Some hardy geraniums have decorative foliage, small flowers, can take
some
shade, and will hang over the edge. One is G. sanguineum also G
cinereum
(I think that is the species) cultivars Brookside blue, and
Ballerina light pink
Blue Fescue, or maybe Mondo grass combined with Creeping Jenny/
Moneywort
Lysimachia nummularia around the edges for a blue or a deep
green
with bright lime green foliage only but colorful,
Santa Barbara Daisy Erigeron karvinskianus, small delicate foliage
and small daisy
pink flowers
Sweet Alyssum white or purple, can take some frost and has a long
blooming period
Sanvitalia is like a small yellow zinnia, doesn't mind light shade,
but is an annual
The alyssum and sanvitalia could be combined in one pot
An ornamental Oregano, Origanum Kent Beauty is a great cascader, has
light pink
flowers that look like Hops, and look decent most of the year.
Unusual plant.

Hope you find something. It was 44 low, and 55 at 8 pm. with a breeze
this am.
but nice sunshine! I am putting my maters, and peppers out during the
day,
but they come in at night. A snail(s) ate most of the lettuce last
night, bummer.
I fed them (the snails) to the neighbors chickens.

Emilie