Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Adding pond slime to plants

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:09:21 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

We have a lot of plants in pots. When scraping the bottom of the pond we
bring up a greenish muddy slime. Someone said they thought this would be
nutritious to mix with the soil in the plant pots. Would this be true? Would
it be likely to be on the acidic side or not?

Typically one plant decides to dominate the pond, then we rake it out
and into a composting bin. It can be algae, azola, duckweek,
anacharis, cattails, or parrot feather. I would not recommend use of
material that has not composted.