Old 09-04-2010, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
I'm looking for a perennial cascading plant for a hanging pot. It
need to descend at least a foot or more to cover an attached bird
bath. Be nice if it had flowers. Any ideas?

One of my favourites in this category is clerodendron tomsoniae
(spelling?). I forget exactly where you are but I am pretty sure it
is too cold to grow it outdoors. I guess you are describing
outdoors. Oh well I just love the combination of flowers and
folliage, colour and form. Maybe if you have a hothouse.

David

I'm in a USDA Hardiness Zone: 9

The Clerodendrum thomsoniae, USDA Hardiness Zone: 10 to 11
Nice plant but it is a climber, not a cascader.
Thanks.

I have grown it as a cascader in a hanging basket where it grew well and
looked great, it had multiple growing points and hung down all around about
60cm (2 ft in primitive measure) or more.

David

It's a beautiful plant, but it would have to come in during the winter,
and after Feb.,it would be competing for the grow lights.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/6...e_us_military/