Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Will Wilkinson Will Wilkinson is offline

Default [OT] TV Licensing (Was: Tree stump killer)

In message , Tim Watts
writes

I had no TV for a period of time so I rang the number and they made a note.

Then a couple of months later, the annoying reminders started coming again.
I threw them away at first, then later, marked them "Return to sender" and
stuck them in the post box. The tone of the reminders left much to be
desired. However, the biscuit taker was this:

http://www.dionic.net/tv/OfficialWarning.jpeg

So I sent them this:

http://www.dionic.net/tv/Reply.jpeg
(Not for the faint hearted)

The bit in question is in the last paragraph.

Pretty much anyone has implied right of access to your property to conduct
their legal business, eg anyone wishing to post something through your
letterbox, milkman etc as well as certain bodies with additional statutory
rights such as the gas company in an emergency, Customs Officers under some
conditions, coppers with a warrant etc.

However, if the former right of implied access is explicitly denied in
writing to a single body as here, or by putting a sign on the gate saying
"No Hawkers" then any such person is guilty of trespass if they do set foot
on your property and may be removed using reasonable force.

Anyway, it was mostly spleen venting and it did elicit a response - a
grovelling apology in this case.

Love your response, just what these neo-nazi quangos need IMO. The UK is
getting worryingly (sp?) close to the police state that Germany became
in the mid 30s. If I was 10 years younger I'd probably be away to NZ or
Canada.

Will
--
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger
can.