Old 10-04-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J[_2_] Tom  J[_2_] is offline

Default Levelling a garden

khevlan wrote:
Hi all

I'm trying to level a section of garden to put down a patio. I have
read guides on the internet about how to do this but do not
comprehend the information well (I'm a real gardening beginner).

If it's going to be a poured concrete patio, I would NEVER want it to
be level. The reason. I don't care how carefull you are at leveling
the surface, there will always be a dip some where that will have
standing water. I'd be more concerned about renting a tamping machine
and compacting that loose soil and then putting up the boards for the
forms with center high sloping 2 ways or high in the center sloping 4
ways.

If it's going to be patio blocks or tiles, still compact the soil and
cover with a bed of sand/rock mix to place the tile on so it will
drain.

Tom J