Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I'm running an experiment to see how my wet plate method works vs a
commercial solution, specifically the Jiffy starter greenhouse which
consists of a 72 cell plastic tray with peat moss starter pellets and a
plastic top. I had extra Cosmonaut Volkov, Sun Gold Cherry and Black
Prince tomato seeds so I started a dozen pellets of each in the Jiffy. I
had already started these varieties a week ago with my wet plate method
and they've all been moved to peat pots with potting soil several days
ago. I'll report the progress of both in another week.

I love an experiment! Please let us know how it turns out and please
give us as much growing details as possible

My details - I never use the plastic tops when growing indoors. I add a
small amount of peat moss to my seedlings also (Rumored to help keep
mold and wilt down, I lost my sources to this rumor). I am using a
miracle grow seed starting mixture (I know I shouldn't). I do not use
any heat pads. I have nine south side oversized windows, each with a
heat register under the windows. Ceiling fans in every room for air
circulation. I have a cheap T-5 grow light on each of the 9 TV tray
tables. Two 72 cell trays on each table. 2 x 9 x 72 = 1296 plants!!!!

My experiment this year is be more wasteful and place a capillary mat
under half of them. To see if I can scrimp on watering at the expense of
mold.

Many, 3/4 of these plants are slow growing flowers and will go directly
from the 72 cell into the ground. The vegetables will get transplanted
and go into a heated frame. I do wish I had the funds for a green house!

I do admit I feel guilty tossing most of those plastic inserts to the
trash. Some day I will use a less wasteful method of growing plants.

Tomatoes - 30 Romas, 30 Bonny Best, 10 Brandywines and 2 Cherry 100's.
I never cared for the taste of sun golds over the Cherry 100's.
Canning Time for the fall. All tomatoes for me and no one else

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.