Old 09-04-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default What type of greenhouse?

On 9 Apr, 21:59, "Jo" wrote:
I would like to erect a greenhouse at some point in the future and wondered
what experiences people have had with the different types ie glass vs
polycarbonate.
Any advice/tips would be gratefully received.

I have a large heavy-duty polytunnel and have found that the light
levels do not allow me to grow some things successfully here in the
far north. This year I have invested in a RHINO greenhouse from
Greenhouses Direct ( www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk ). The Rhino is a
heavy duty affair with extra bracing, extra thick aluminium frame
material and glass held by glazing beads instead of clips. It was
half-glazed when we had a severe gale force wind; the wind moved the
greenhouse, which at this point weighed around about 250Kg, to the
edge of its foundations and when I returned home from work it was
hanging over the back edge, having moved about nine inches. Not a
single pane of glass was broken and the only structural damage was a
slight bend in the baseplate where the structure had been blown
physically along the concrete footings. Even the manufacturers were
surprised that it withstood a severe gale when unanchored and half
glazed! The Rhino comes with 4mm toughened glass - like that of a car
windscreen and is 1mm thicker than ordinary glazing and 2mm thicker
than horticultural glass. I am very happy with the structure and the
excellent fit of the doors - a common problem with greenhouses. This
is only my first season with this greenhouse but I know that the
service and advice backup from the company are second to none ( used
them several times already) and so I am confident of a good season,
whatever the weather.