Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Levelling a garden

khevlan wrote:
Hi all

I'm trying to level a section of garden to put down a patio.

I did a few last year.

First dig up soil from the high end and dump it in the low end.
Soften up the soil a bit all around.

Get a level and a long board. Put the level on the board and pull the
board across keeping the board level. You'll have some spots that will
need filling, and some spots that need more digging.

Repeat until satisfied. You may need to break up the work into
sections and work your way across.

Worked for me.

Jeff

I have read
guides on the internet about how to do this but do not comprehend the
information well (I'm a real gardening beginner).

My understanding is that I need a "master peg," a spirit level and level
planks but am not sure exactly what to do with them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.