Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

My details - I never use the plastic tops when growing indoors. I add a
small amount of peat moss to my seedlings also (Rumored to help keep
mold and wilt down, I lost my sources to this rumor). I am using a
miracle grow seed starting mixture (I know I shouldn't). I do not use
any heat pads. I have nine south side oversized windows, each with a
heat register under the windows. Ceiling fans in every room for air
circulation. I have a cheap T-5 grow light on each of the 9 TV tray
tables. Two 72 cell trays on each table. 2 x 9 x 72 = 1296 plants!!!!

The plastic cover was the reason I'm giving the Jiffy a try. One of my
cats ate a few of the sprouts that I have in peat pots, I have lots of
spares on the wet plates so I replaced them and covered them with glad
wrap to discourage the cats (tomatoes are poisonous to cats so it's not
good for the cats as well as for the seedlings).