Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Apple trees!

"Tom J" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom

If you want to have strong healthy apple trees, as soon as they set fruit,
you'll be out there pulling them all off this 1st season!!

That makes sense Tom. I can enjoy the booms in the meantime but this first
year after being planted they need their root development to be the main
thing. These are both semi-dwarf ones (over head lines etc, didnt want too
big).

One is a granny smith and the other a yellow delicious. They are
recommended good cross pollenators. Both in the front yard, about 20 feet
or so apart.