Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Quiet today...

Muddymike
wibbled on Saturday 10 April 2010 15:14

...the sun must be keeping you all in the garden.
I have been busy giving the lawns their first cut and servicing
the machines. Very pleased with my Hayter ride on grass cutter, I
have had it for 4 years now and only sharpened the blade for the
first time after this mornings first cut of the season, even then
it didn't really need it, but having removed the deck to get to
it I thought I might as well sharpen it a little.

I filled a couple of big dips in the front lawn with soil last
autumn and spread them with grass seed a few weeks ago. I had
begun to think the pigeons had eaten all the seed but the warmer
weather of the last week has started it all sprouting.

The Hayter is now parked behind the snow blower so winter is now
officially over here in Leyburn!

Oh well, tea drunk, back to the garden.

Mike

Sadly for my neighbours, I've been running this for 3 days:

http://www.mowwithus.com/pro4.html

It's on hire before you think Oi'm considerably richer than yow...

Neighbour helped me chop 10' of hawthorn "hedge" down to 3' with his
chainsaw (new house, moved in, garden overgrown...). He got lots of beer and
wine an a new pair of chainsaw trousers for his trouble - well worth it from
my POV

150' of bloody hawthorn hedge ;- ******* stuff. It's nearly destroyed a
pair of heavy duty leather welding gauntlets and I have to wear a heavy
jacket on such a nice day!

I plan to put new hedging plants (maybe beech or yew or box) between the
stumps and when that looks sufficiently alive I'll have the remainder of
this evil plant out!

But, for anyone who needs a shredder, the Eliet is pretty good for its class
- (make sure to get one with hydraulic power feed - gravity fed would be a
non starter with tangly twisty stuff like mine). Jammed it once which says a
lot. 3 gallons of petrol so far.

--
Tim Watts