Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Sick Bay leaf

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
No it is in the ground, previous owner planted it.
Today I have pruned and sprayed with white oil.
"Loosecanon" wrote in message
. au...

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi

I have good specimen of a Bay leaf tree but I have noticed that there
are a lot of leaves with brown edges & spots & it is not looking quite
well. About 2weeks ago I sprayed with a general pest spray for scale and
this other prob but it doesn't appear to have helped, the scale is gone.
Any suggestions what may be wrong??
Thanks
Sandra

In a pot I hope? Was a hot summer so maybe some heat stress!

Egads a bay leaf in the ground could become a nightmare. They have extensive
root systems and the canopy just gets huge for a normal backyard. I have
mine in a large pot it isn't the healthiest plant in the world but the 200
odd leaves it has is more than I can use. If yours starts to grow big (over
3 metres) cut it down. Will be a few hours work to get rid of and easy to
get another plant and stick it in a pot. No use having a $10 plant that
costs you $Thousands later to cut down.

From memory Sandra you are near the caost so salt scald could be a factor
and the dry easterly winds we had over summer were just horrendous. There
could also be a possiblity that your soil is to alkaline if you are in an
area with limestone.