Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default Apple trees!

cshenk wrote:
"Tom J" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits.
Today, literally overnight one burst into bloom

If you want to have strong healthy apple trees, as soon as they set
fruit, you'll be out there pulling them all off this 1st season!!

That makes sense Tom. I can enjoy the booms in the meantime but this
first year after being planted they need their root development to be
the main thing. These are both semi-dwarf ones (over head lines etc,
didnt want too big).

One is a granny smith and the other a yellow delicious. They are
recommended good cross pollenators. Both in the front yard, about 20
feet or so apart.

Do you know offhand of a site that lists types of apples and good
cross pollinators? I think I am going to plant at least three
apple trees this year.... (Also two cherries. There are two very
ratty ornamental cherry trees at the new house now, and eventually
I want to replace them with fruiting cherries. My plan, perhaps
bad, is to place the latter near the former and wait until the get
a bit more mature....)

--
Jean B.