Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Quiet today...

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:01:45 -0600, "graham" wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
...the sun must be keeping you all in the garden.
I have been busy giving the lawns their first cut and servicing the
machines. Very pleased with my Hayter ride on grass cutter, I have had
it
for 4 years now and only sharpened the blade for the first time after
this mornings first cut of the season, even then it didn't really need
it, but having removed the deck to get to it I thought I might as well
sharpen it a little.

I filled a couple of big dips in the front lawn with soil last autumn
and
spread them with grass seed a few weeks ago. I had begun to think the
pigeons had eaten all the seed but the warmer weather of the last week
has started it all sprouting.

The Hayter is now parked behind the snow blower so winter is now
officially over here in Leyburn!

Oh well, tea drunk, back to the garden.

I sprayed white stuff on the greenhouse, since it was 38degC[1] in there
and the seedlings fried.

Steve
[1] How do I make the keyboard do that tiny circle that means degrees? I
know it can be done.

Alt 0176 (at least on my PC).
Or Accessories-System Tools-Character Map
Graham

On mine it's Alt 248. Turn Num Lock on if it's not already on (on the
numeric keypad), hold down the Alt key, type 248 on the numeric
keypad, release the Alt key.

There's a whole range of useful symbols available from Alt 1 to Alt
254, such as Alt 130 é, Alt 148 ö, Alt 171 ½, Alt 172 ¼, Alt 241 ±,
Alt 253 ², as well as a limited range of Greek letters , 224 - 235.

I believe it's a hangover from the age of the Dinosaur Operating
System and some modern computers, or maybe their operating systems,
don't speak dinosaur any more, so other people may not see what you
intended them to see, but I've always used it (read into that what you
will!).

I have that list taped to desk as I have to use many of the accents in my
reports. I have no idea why 0176 and not 248 ended up on it.
Graham