Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name my weed

In message ,
writes
Sacha wrote:
Can anyone point me at what it is, please?

Celandine?

Hmm, I was about to say no after a google, where the flowers look right but
the leaves don't, but this one has the right leaves:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos.../02/02042007_1
30734_0041er.jpg

That's lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria), which I what I took your
description to refer to. (It's not particularly dandelion-like, except
in the way that Japanese anemones have similar flowers to Cosmos, but I
think I can see what you're seeing as a resemblance.)

But this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is a
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

That's greater celandine (Chelidonium majus), which is in a different
family (Papaveraceae or poppy family, as opposed to Ranunculaceae or
buttercup family).

Anyhow. Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley