Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Horseshit!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:22:58 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 4/11/2010 5:07 PM, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and take
as much as you want.

I have a few questions about it's usage.

1) Is it good for everything or should I just put it on some crops? I
grow strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips,
cucumbers, peas, broccoli, spinach and cord.

2) Should I work it into the soil as a soil conditioner?

3) Can I use it as a mulch?

4) How much is too much?

There was an organic farmer used to post here that cautioned using it
on vegetables because of pesticide put on it to keep flies down.

Frank is referring to a problem in Britain the last few years with
aminopyralid. Bad stuff, but not a problem, as far as I know, here in
the colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aminopyralid Aminopyralid is a selective
hormone-based herbicide manufactured by Dow AgroSciences for control of
broadleaf weeds on grassland, such as docks, thistles and nettles. It
was first registered for use in 2005, in the USA under the brand name
"Milestone".[2] Aminopyralid is of concern to vegetable growers as it
can enter the food chain via manure which contains long lasting residues
of the herbicide. It affects potatoes, tomatoes and beans, causing
deformed plants, and poor or non-existent yields. Problems with manure
contaminated with Aminopyralid residue surfaced in the UK in June and
July 2008, and at the end of July 2008 Dow AgroSciences implemented an
immediate suspension of UK sales and use of herbicides containing
Aminopyralid.

The horse farm where I'm getting this from isn't a commercial venture,
they only have a couple of horses so I doubt they are using anything
exotic.