Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tom J[_2_] Tom  J[_2_] is offline

Default Horseshit!

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I've just found a source for free composted horse manure, there is a
horse farm about 1/2 mile from me that gives it away. They have a
big
compost pile, you just have to drive up with some containers and
take
as much as you want.

If there is a choice, fill your containers from the pile where it's
been there the longest and is well composted. That is what we call
Black Gold where I live. I cover my garden with 6 to 8 inches in the
fall and till it. Besides being already composted, most of the weed
seeds will have already sprouted and died. I just put it down every 2
years & I have loam soil about a foot deep where it use to be red clay
that was like a brick when dry!! If it's not already composted, get
it anyway and use as mulch and work into the soil after harvest. BTW,
I don't think you can get too much if it's already composted!! Good
soil will crumble in your hand like the potting soil you buy at the
nursery at 3 or 4 bucks a bag!!

Tom J