Old 12-04-2010, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default My first bromeliad

On Apr 11, 7:43*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 4/10/10 7:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

With fear & trembling, I just bought a little bromeliad to place
on the East side of the dining room. *The strong light
from the West windows is fairly reasonable. *Plant will also get
some indirect light from the kitchen around the corner.

Having bought blah indoor plants for years, I hope my daring
venture will succeed g.

Any experience out there?

TIA

Persephone

Someone gave us a flowering bromeliad about 5 years ago. *It's possibly
a Guzmania. *After a long time, the flower died. *The plant put out a
side shoot, and then the main plant died.

I potted up the side shoot, which is doing quite nicely. *It's in my
dining room, at a north window (almost north with some early morning
sun). *I water it once a week (sometimes twice a week in the summer).
When I feed my orchids, I dilute what runs out of their pots to feed the
bromeliad. *Both the watering and feeding are in the whorl of leaves
plus a little in the potting mix. *However, there is no sign of a new
flower.

I have another bromeliad in my greenhouse window, in my breakfast room
and also north-facing. *This one is the top of a pineapple that I
successfully rooted. *It gets the same care as the Guzmania.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

Thank you; very informative.

Pineapple is a bromeliad??!!! Does it want to make more pineapples?
A little confused...

Persephone