Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
John John is offline

Default crape murder?

On Apr 12, 12:00*pm, internaughtfull
wrote:
Hi,

I have a crape myrtle in the front yard, probably about 30 years old,
about
25 ft high, blooms huge. I had some brush removed on a slope and the
guys
said they would prune the myrtle also, since it was getting near some
power lines.
When I checked it out they cut it to about 6 ft high and the branches
are 1-2" or
so thick. Of course I could choke those guys it looks horrible. Will
this thing
recover? Should I just remove it and plant a quick growing nellie
holly?

itchy

It will certainly grow back! In a few weeks you'll be able to see
tiny little buds randomly over the tree. These will grow into limbs
with flowers. Don't worry!

This is probably the best way to prune such an old tree. For a few
years it won't look like it used to, but you can shape it as it grows
back. Each year take away the suckers near the base, and remove
branches that cross or grow into the middle. As to the height, you'll
see several new limbs growing vertically out of the cut-offs. This
year, let all these grow up and blossom, what a delight Next year
(or the next after that) prune these about 1 foot above the cut so
there are only 2 or 3 growing in the direction that you want the shape
of the tree. In this way, you'll keep getting new growth and new
blooms from them. After a few more years, the first growth from the
cut-off will be getting thicker, and it won't be as easy to see where
they were murdered.

Enjoy,