Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

My details - I never use the plastic tops when growing indoors. I add a
small amount of peat moss to my seedlings also (Rumored to help keep
mold and wilt down, I lost my sources to this rumor). I am using a
miracle grow seed starting mixture (I know I shouldn't). I do not use
any heat pads. I have nine south side oversized windows, each with a
heat register under the windows. Ceiling fans in every room for air
circulation. I have a cheap T-5 grow light on each of the 9 TV tray
tables. Two 72 cell trays on each table. 2 x 9 x 72 = 1296 plants!!!!

The plastic cover was the reason I'm giving the Jiffy a try. One of my
cats ate a few of the sprouts that I have in peat pots, I have lots of
spares on the wet plates so I replaced them and covered them with glad
wrap to discourage the cats (tomatoes are poisonous to cats so it's not
good for the cats as well as for the seedlings).

Year before last, I had mice. Last year I sealed the tray cover on with
book binder clamps. This year I have appreciably larger plants, but the
pride seems to have done their work, no problems.

The cover also holds in the humidity, and heat, which helps with the
germination. If not using prepackaged peat pots, be sure to sterilize
soil at 200°F for 30 min. to avoid mold (damping off), and having to
start all over again 2 - 3 weeks later.

Hmmm...
Are you putting your seed trays outside in the open or indoors?

Every time I used any clear plastic covers indoors, I get white looking
mold on the seed starting soil a few days later. Indoor humidity where I
live runs around 50%. It rains allot during April and May in Michigan. I
use small fans with the covers off the trays to keep the mold away.
I wonder if location makes a difference?

One other topic: How do you sterilize your soil?
I use an equal amount of water to soil and pour the boiling water over
the soil. I have heard from others that sterilizing soil in an indoor
oven stinks to high heaven! Do you use an outdoor grill or open pit?

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.