Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Are Nurseries Cheaper than Garden Centres?

On 12 Apr, 13:36, GardeningGuyJon GardeningGuyJon.
wrote:
Bigus;882928 Wrote:

Hi

Are nurseries generally cheaper than garden centres, or does it really
depend on the individual place? Does anyone know any cheap places for
bedding plants around the Oxford area? We want some black grass, maybe
other
grasses, and butterfly/bee attractive plants such as lavender.

Thanks
Bigus

I've found that nurseries tend to have a better supply of plants but it
is much further to travel to than my local garden centre so basically if
I need something out of the ordinary I'll go to the nursery if I want
something that is fairly standard I go to the garden centre.

--
GardeningGuyJon

Isn't this question typical of the modern frame of mind.
Are they cheaper?
I'd have thought that the questions should be.......
Are the plants better?
Is there a better selection of plants (Which havn't traveled half way
accross Europe)?
Is there someone who can answer your questions and give advice?
You want all this and lower prices?
I got sick of people comming into the nursery and quibling over the
price. these werer people who would go to the local garden
centre( Wyevale) and pay almost twice as much and not wory about the
price.
This and the people who thought it was fair game to steal plants
rather than buy them, even digging them up from around the car park
are the reasons I stoped opening to the public,
We all like a bargain, but is £5.00 for a plant that is going to last
for years, or £15 for a tree that could last the next 50 years
expensive?
David Hill