Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Name my weed

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:26:20 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
On 12 Apr, 20:21, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Celandine?

Hmm, I was about to say no after a google, where the flowers look
right
but
the leaves don't, but this one has the right leaves:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos.../04/02/0204200...

But

this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is a
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

Anyhow. Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.

There's Lesser and Greater Celandine, IIRC, so maybe that makes a
difference.
--

I once saw a Greater Celandine plant away in the countryside and
introduced

You are not alone, I did the same thing with a Greater Willowherb with
similar results as it spreads under the soil and now appears
everywhere.

Ah, but your willowherb will attract hawk moths to breed on it so keep it.
My greater celandine is useless. Unless someone comes along and says
"this
is an important plant for this sort of butterfly or moth" I'm afraid I
will
pull up every plant I have - the fecking thing is everywhere now.

You can make soup with it?
http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/lesser-celandine-recipe

NOTE THE COMMENT
"It should be stressed that Lesser Celandine becomes poisonous as it
matures, so
do not pick it once it starts to flower. Only ever use young leaves."
--

No, it's Greater Celandine I have. Even the orange sap is poisonous.
http://www.swsbm.com/Images/Images_C.html