Old 12-04-2010, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Edible gardening

wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
We're not great lovers of broad beans, but we're
blending a lot more soups these days, so they may
make
a good thickening agent.

I never liked broad beans until I ate them fresh.
Now I've got 2 rows of
plants cos we didn't get enough last year. :-)

Perhaps freshness is key or we may not have cooked them
long enough. I suppose you could allow some of the pods
to dry out on the plant and save the seed till next
year. Should be ok as long as they're not F1 hybrids.

Another neighbour gave me a dozen rhubarb chard seeds.
The seed looks similar to beetroot and are now
germinating in the g/house. I haven't tried swiss
chard, so no idea what taste to expect from rhubarb
chard. Apparently they're good in stir-fries.