Old 19-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default David Hunt orchids

Gid,

If you need the greeting cards, I have orchid-related ones on my website,
and I guarantee no spam will follow from me!

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Gideon Singer" wrote in message
Another scam is for those free greeting cards to be emailed to your
friends. All the spam I recieve approx 15 per day orginated from this
one Xmass card that I got from a well meaning friend. NEVER
unsubscribe to any spam it only validates the orginal email address.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:15:31 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Pam

You could be getting all that spam because address harvesting adbots are
scanning the newgroup for valid email addresses.

Your newsgroup program should have something that would permit you to put
the reply to address in the blank. Add "NOSPAM" to your address and the
harvester gets .

If I were responding I would see that is not a valid address and would

edit
it to the correct address. I did this several months ago and greatly
reduced the junk email. Now I have more time for orchids!

Good Growing,
Gene

"profpam" wrote in message

Hi,
I ordered the following from David Hunt:

Arachnis flos-aeris 6.00
Seidenfadennia mitrata 9.50
Vanda brunea 11.50
Vandadopsis gigantea 11.50
Vandaopsis parishii 11.50
Vanilla aphylla 9.50

I received all except the Vanda brunea for a total of $56.50. After
soaking all of them for about an hour in water, a little sugar, a

couple
of sprays of Physan into the solution, and superthrive, I potted them
all and they look pretty good. This is my first order from David, and
I am also pleased.

(An aside to Rob: I don't know where David Hunt obtained my email
address for sure; however, he was once a partner of George Norris; so,
he may have gotten it from George or this forum. Yes, I receive almost
200 spams a day now from Mortgage companies to places to whatever, and
the ones that I think are the funniest are the Spam Emails that

supposed
Stop Spam -- a little ironic).

In as far as CITES go, Ray, I think you still have to be concerned if
you are reselling Paphs or anything in Appendix 1. Just attended

Harold
Koopowitz's lecture of Imports, etc., and he insists that one take
special care to not import any that are listed in there as fines run
$25,000. Since David is the importer in this case, it seems to take
months as he does go for all the paperwork in which case if you buy
anything that you even think might be in Appendix 1 then be sure to ask
him for a copy of the permits.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html
"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote:

I have purchased from David and from George and have, overall, been

pleased
with the results.

I suppose the CITES docs can be a concern for someone in my shoes, as

there
have been reports of needing to have them for the authorities when

you
resell. Not that the domestic sale is the issue, just verification

of
legal
importation, although at this point, I think that's only applied to

Chinese-
and especially Vietnamese paphs.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
Secure Online Ordering & Lots of Free Info!

"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
m...
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

Did you have to do any paperwork to get them into the US?

(assuming
you
are
in the US)

I always imagine that importing plants was a hassle and

complicated.
Sounds
like your order was as easy as from within the US.

It isn't always but can often/usually be at least a hassle, though

not
particularly complicated. But in this case, David Hunt is doing

the
importing, so for the end customer it's not just "as easy as", but

is
in fact, an order from within the US.

Michael