Old 13-04-2010, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[..}

Every time I used any clear plastic covers indoors, I get white looking
mold on the seed starting soil a few days later.

Yeah, damping-off.

By the word "Yeah", you do develop mold on your seedling soil also?

Only if I don't sterilize the soil. If I sterilize the soil, I have no
problem with damping off.
If so, why still use the covers? The mold can't be good for plants?

"Kills them dead", so after waiting for a week for germination, and then
spending 2 weeks watching your babies get eaten alive by mold, you get
to start all over again, hoping that if they survive, you won't fry them
when you leave them outside to harden off with the tray cover on.
Gardening can teach anyone humility.

Confidence is sterilizing the soil. 200°F (93°C) for 30 min. Otherwise
- Billy