Old 13-04-2010, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[...}
One other topic: How do you sterilize your soil?
I use an equal amount of water to soil and pour the boiling water over
the soil. I have heard from others that sterilizing soil in an indoor
oven stinks to high heaven! Do you use an outdoor grill or open pit?

Small electric toaster oven, inside. Usually use something like Gardner
& Bloome Potting Soil, but the stuff from Home Despot should work too.
Gives off a little earthy smell, which dissipates quickly. Making stock
from soup bones smells worse. If I stunk up the place, the little woman
would hang me by my, uh, . . . toes.

Hmmm...
I have no space for a toaster oven The big oven for soil, no way.
Counter space limited: Coffee pot, Blender, Stand Mixer, Food Processor,
Food Saver, Butcher knife Block and Compost Crock. Under cabinet:
Microwave over Oven, Small DVD player and an XM/Sirius radio.

For now, boiling water method seems to work.

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out.
--
- Billy