Old 13-04-2010, 10:29 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
We lost two of these during the comparative cold of the winter of 2008/9. I doubt if they are equipped to cope with our last two winters type weather. Pity - they're attractive plants.
My C. Australis "Torbay Red", which is more tender than the species, sailed through 08/09, despite a low of -9C. But it has lost both its heads this year, although our minimum was only -6C this year. The trunk looks fine just below the heads, so I'm hoping it will become even more multi-headed. The extended period of snow and low temperatures has done for it this winter, whereas it is evident that it can cope with lower temperatures if they are only brief. Meanwhile, non-special-variety ones have been undamaged by both winters. I have seen them in the wild in New Zealand and they do grow in places with serious winters.

As for other NZ plants, my lancewood (Pseudopanax crassifolia) has been fine, my Sophora tetraptera suffered damage on its eastern side both winters, but has survived and flowered heavily, though it is getting smaller rather than bigger - need some mild winters to let it recover properly. My manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) "Red Damask" which survived 08/09 fine is looking dead.