Old 13-04-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss, thatch etc.

In message , Gopher
writes
Please excuse me if this has been posted before .... it sounds familiar
to me but I can't recall the answer.

I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying!
I suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor
has grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish
requiring disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our
compost stalls along with the other items from the garden? Or is the
moss likely to take a very long time to become composted and
effectively dead?

I reckon that moss and thatch composts better than just about anything
else.

I'd prefer not to have to make too many runs to our local recycling
centre - where it would be chucked through the "green waste" windows
for composting. But do they have a turbo charged composting process
which is much more efficient than our "leave it to nature" system?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley