Old 13-04-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Moss, thatch etc.

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Gopher contains these words:

Please excuse me if this has been posted before .... it sounds familiar
to me but I can't recall the answer.

I am in the process of giving our front lawn a much needed scarifying! I
suspect that over the past 3 or 4 years the moss and thatch factor has
grown to over 50% and there is a mountain of growing rubbish requiring
disposal. The question is, can I throw it in one of our compost stalls
along with the other items from the garden? Or is the moss likely to
take a very long time to become composted and effectively dead?

Lawn moss composts fine IME; and it doesn't turn the garden into a
moss bank when you use the result. The compost heap heat will see to
that.
Because it's a large volume, dry and might be acidic I combine it
with some stalky or green material and wood ash and a generous helping
of urine.

Janet

Many thanks Janet. I have plenty of other matter with which it can be
mixed as well as your suggested magic ingredient which I have always
found to be quite effective. I must get permission from Senior
Management to up my liquid intake - which may be a tricky negotiation
:-))

Thanks again!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!