Old 14-04-2010, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Raspberry Vines Question

On Apr 14, 8:11*am, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Planted some Raspberry vines, for first time.

Was wondering: *Assuming any berries actually appear, are Raspberries
something:

Rabbits will go after ?

Birds ?

Squirrels ? *Or,...?

If so, any hints or solutions ?

Thanks,
Bob *(outside of Boston, Mass.)

My first berries were eaten by birds last year. I found a patch of
wild red raspberries while kayaking a few summers ago. I returned in
late fall when they had gone dormant and dug a few to transplant. My
first small crop developed last summer but when I went to harvest
them, they were bare of berries. I assume the birds ate them. This
year, I'm going to cover them with protective netting so that I can
get a few for myself.

Are you aware that raspberries only put out fruit on two-year-old
canes?

The good thing about raspberries is that the vines propagate by
layering. The canes bend over when they grow long and put out roots
where the top of the cane rests on the ground. I've been separating
those from the main plant and transplanting to fill in the rows.

Paul (outside of Baltimore, Md.)