Old 14-04-2010, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pruning apple trees

wrote:
Hi,

I have some new two year old apple wipes that are to be made into a
belgium fence (espalier). Spaced every 2 feet or so. I was told to
prune the wipes to 18 inches and new growth would appear right at the
cut with new shoots all around the cut. I am getting new growth
within one inch of the cut and below; but not at the cut. I have
never seen growth right at the cut before in any pruning of apple
trees.

Does this happen?

Ken

No it happens at buds.