Old 14-04-2010, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Smedulb Smedulb is offline

Default Lighting for a Planted 29 gal high

"JLG" wrote in message
I have one flora glo 20 W- 24 (61 cm)- 25 mm Diameter- T8 bulb for my
29gal high planted aquarium. Is this enough lighting? My fixture can
hold two bulbs, should I add another?

What kind of plants are you growing? Are they growing well? Do you have
algae problems? 20W of light in a 29 gal aquarium is a *very small* amount
of light, especially in a "high" aquarium where the light has to penetrate
through more water to get to the plants. In my experience, even low light
plants like java fern and most crypts tend to do better in the 1-2 watts per
gallon range. Right now you're running at a little less than .7 watts per
gallon. Keep that in mind when purchasing new plants, but don't fix what
isn't broken. If your current plants are doing well without algae problems,
and you don't have any desire to grow plants with high light requirements,
then you should be fine with things the way they are.