Old 14-04-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default HomeBase Tomatoes

wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Just a note in passing to say that last weekend HomeBase in Ipswich had
the
sickliest, weediest, nastiest tomato seedlings I have ever seen.

If I had grown them, I would have thrown them.

You have to wonder why they even bothered to put them out on display.

Heh. They're waiting for me to come along and 'rescue' them.
(last year I bought about 400 vegetable plants in trays at 10p, and we got
quite a good crop from them, plus I potted some up for the school summer
fayre)

I bought my small number of plants from a local farm shop / nursery.
They were far superior.

Of all the things I grow, tomatoes are the ones I always grow from seed.
I've never seen any reason to buy plants in.

Me too, I grow the heritage tomatoes from Garden Organic, then, if I
remember, I keep the seeds and grow the same thing next year.

Alan