Old 15-04-2010, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default crape murder?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, internaughtfull wrote:

I have a crape myrtle in the front yard, probably about 30 years old, about
25 ft high, blooms huge. I had some brush removed on a slope and the guys
said they would prune the myrtle also, since it was getting near some power lines.
When I checked it out they cut it to about 6 ft high and the branches are 1-2" or
so thick. Of course I could choke those guys it looks horrible. Will this thing
recover? Should I just remove it and plant a quick growing nellie holly?

That is exactly the way the Brooklyn Botanical Garden prunes theirs. Though
for some reason this year they only pruned the ones on the West side of the
path up from the rose garden like that and left the other side tall. I know
who pruned them and I could ask.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).